Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Anne's Musings

From the inception of our marriage there has been an ongoing "debate" -- do you need to raise your family around family? I wasn't raised near family so I always argued that good friends and leaders could take the place of aunts, uncles and cousins. Rob, who raised neared literally 100s of cousins, argued that the joy of his growing up years was being close to his cousins.


The first 4.5 years of our marriage were spent away from family (excluding an 8-month stint in Orange County where we were 1 hour away from my family). We loved every stop we've made - Boston, NYC, and London. We've made incredible friends that really could fill the aunts and uncles role if we had stayed any one of those places permanently. Their kids have certainly felt like nieces and nephews to me since I just adore all of them so much. Brock loves playing with all our friends kids whenever we get together (although I know one day he's going to hate it when we say, "you have to be nice to Kay. We've been friends with her parents for 25 years!").

The debate kind of ended when we decided to buy my mom's house and moved back to Escondido earlier this year. Rob won - we decided to raise our family near familyby default. And I love it. But I also love the other way.


A few weeks ago we went to the beach late on a Saturday afternoon. There was a fantastic late afternoon breeze. We didn't have to fuss over sunblock because the sun was setting. Parking was easy since most day trippers were clearing out. And we went with Miles' family and Maren, two of my five favorite siblings.


We chatted, chased waves, and had a FANTASTIC time while Drew took a nap in his bassinet. I remembering thinking to myself, "there is no place else on earth I'd rather be right now."




But then last weekend we went to the beach with some church friends and had a great time. We played on the shore, eat lots of great junk food and watched them all go on the wave runners (our timing with nursing babies and naps prevented us from going out . . . next time!). I remember thinking, "I'm so glad there are such great people in our ward."


Moral of my musings - I've have the best of both worlds living here in Escondido and I'm not even a beach-going person. Looks like we both won the "debate".

7 comments:

Kelly M said...

Sounds just like us! When we moved back west I worried being close to family would lessen our friendship and bonds with friends but have learned that becuase that's important to me, we can do it both- and we have. And it sure is nice to have Grandma nearby for free babysitting! :)

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

This is a hard one. I didn't grow up around family so I also felt the church and other close friends make great extended family substitutes. Once I had Morgan however, I saw the beauty of having family close by. We have no plans to move anytime soon but I cherish the moments we're all together!

Mindy said...

Looks like you had lots of fun! If we were to end up in Southern California could we be adopted into the Romney family? And I would be worried if in 20 years we have to convince Kay (23) and Brock (22) to play nice we may just have to make them get married.

Alyosha said...

I've had that same thing on my mind as we prepare to move away from family and go back to the friend life. They're both great. I miss all of you so much!

amyjosie said...

anne....you seem so content. I read your blog today and had to laugh...you write just like you talk. It was very refreshing. You look so fabulous!! Your boys are getting big. We miss you...the weather here in Chicago is not as nice as Escondido...but this is home and we could not be happier!!

Unknown said...

Well, I am glad you are back...even though we are all busy with our own lives. You and your family will be an asset to the Community.
Lots of Love

Rachey said...

I love your boy's curly hair!